Welcome to my World

Welcome to my World

Make Your Own Table-Top Fire Pit




To make my table-top fire pit I used the recipe that is used for the HYPERTUFA flower pots.


  1. Here's what you'll need
1. Portland Cement

2. Sphagnum Moss
3. vermiculite
4. A bowl of whatever size or shape you want your fire pit.
5. Plastic ( my bowl was small so I used a walmart sack)
6. A can of Sterno

7. Ceramic briquettes or lava rocks, to place over the Sterno. These can be found in the garden center. They are replacement briquettes or lava rocks for BB-Q grills. I've read that you can use regular smooth river rocks




8. If you want to add the leaf impression, gather some leaves, anything large. I used my Hosta leaves and left the stem pretty long.
9. RUBBER GLOVES


The first thing you will do is line your bowl with the plastic bag. I should tell you, do yourself a favor, choose a bowl with no lip. You want to be able to just lift the plastic bag  &  your FP out of the bowl, once it has cured.
If your going to make impressions, place the leaves on top of the plastic and where you want them.
Mix your dry vermiculite, cement & sphagnum moss.
I used equal parts of each. For this FP I used 6 cups of each.
Mix it really good then add water a little at a time until the mixture reminds you of bread dough. Take a hand full of the mixture and if you can form a ball, start packing it into your bowl. Start at the bottom and pack the bowl leaving about 2 inches from the rim.


If you notice I have a pretty large rim, but your going to create a bowl in the center for your Sterno and you want it deep enough to cover the Sterno with your ceramic briquettes or lava rocks.
Now with your hands dig out a hole for your Sterno to sit in. Go on and place the Sterno in the hole, you'll want about 1/4 " of the Sterno can sticking above the hole it sets in.Just leave the Sterno.
Now spend a little time smoothing your rim and pit. I used a regular table spoon.
Once you've got it the way you want it place the whole thing in another plastic bag and set it somewhere  out of the way for a day or so. I was too anxious to see mine. I took it out before 24 hrs.
Lift the whole thing out of the form bowl using the excess plastic. Keep it in a cool dark place for a few days to cure. I kept it covered with another plastic bag.


I painted mine after a couple of months. I just used the outdoor craft paint mixed 1 part water and 1 part paint. I applied it like a stain.
Good luck........hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. I plan on dressing it up a bit and using it for Christmas Decor.
Any questions, just let me know. I'm sorry I didn't take pics during the process, I will  during the next one.




I used mine at Christmas for a MARSHMALLOW BAR.
It was a big hit !!
I  sat  bowls of  mint chocolate chip's, tiny M&Ms, toasted coconut, mini chocolate chips and Reeses's Peanut butter chips. The list of toppings you could use is endless.





No comments :